Closed: Summer PC builds

A

Agent38ddd

I've spent some time on a few builds (rebuilds). Here are a few pics for your enjoyment.

Swapped out a dying Asus P6T Deluxe V2 for an EVGA SLI FTW3. This meant redoing most of the CPU loop, as I had an EK chipset block in the middle of things. Used most of an afternoon to leak test, and do it right. Also added another SSD (240GB Vertex 3 + 6 more GB of RAM (18GB total). Also running Windows 8 full time now. It's okay, but nothing to right home about for my needs. Just something new to play with.

Next up is my MountainMods Twice 7 red powder coated cube. It used to house a really nice i7 920/Crossfire 5870 setup, but has spent the past year as a bit of a joke in my storage unit. A buddy of mine, and his boys, decided to set me up with some custom water cooling (LOL) after I gave him the box to strip down (he bought the old i7 setup I had in it).

Then it was on to the budget AMD build I wanted to do for PDXLan. Specs:

AMD FX4100
AsRock 970 Extreme
8GB Team 1333
4GB Mushkin 1600
OCZ 650wt PSU
Sapphire Radeon 4870x2 (test build with old XFX GTX 285)
60GB Agility 2 SSD
150GB WD Velociraptor

That last pic is of an old Swiftech Apogee water block. I had picked up an AM2/3 back plate for $5 a few years ago, figuring I might use it again someday. That old waterblock had been in my collection of stuff since the skt939 days.

So for some final touches, I decided to ask a close friend of mine, who is a HS art teacher, if she would like to paint something unique -- a computer case. She was like, "Hell yeah!!!" Was going to be a bit of a challenge because the case is powder coated. She didn't want to prime it, and get rid of the red base, so she used oil-based enamel paint pens -- and this is what she came up with.

BADASS!!! I just have to get some glossy clear coat on it -- and then I can build the system + water cooling for the CPU. Those of you that are making it to PDXLan with me, will get to see the final result :)

Sura

Vetted Officer
Jan 13, 2011
Clan Rank
Vetted Member
Vetted Member
Your rigs all look awesome - your cabling is really neat.
The painted case also looks fantastic.
Have fun at the lan. =)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

A

Agent38ddd

Thanks guys, nothing to it really with these roomy cases. I was actually being lazy. If it was really worth it to me, I could have made all but the ATX and PCI-E cables invisible. I kind of lack the patience for that though.

SycoMage

Vetted Officer
Jan 25, 2011
Colorado
Clan Rank
Vetted Officer
Vetted Officer
Whether or not you could do more, I too am jealous of the cable setups in those comps. Mine looks like a hellstorm of random wires, many of which are dangling right next to open fans. >.< That red case looks sick, the snakes/blue venom (or whatever) on top especially. So, to water cool my system I just need some old water bottles and straws? I'll have to give that a shot, using your picture as a diagram. :p

Oh man I can't wait to see the fianl product at the LAN!! Gonna be killer! And all I'm showing up with is my laptop! lol. I don't really have a case that i am proud enough to show off. I have a decent computer at home, but i didn't mod it or anything. I am hoping to get either a promotion, or a new job sometime soon. This will let me start modding my own cases. It will be a fun time when I can actually start doing that. One of my first projecs is going to be a desk mod. I love those things.

Love the painted case man. that will be a head turner for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread