Diablo 3: Blizzard Responds to Necromancer Exploit Outrage with a Double XP Weekend

Gizmo256

Clan Leader
Dec 17, 2016
Decatur, AL
Clan Rank
Clan Leader
Clan Leader
A double XP weekend is on the way for Diablo 3, thanks to delays in implementing the Patch 2.6.0 hotfixes last Friday, as well as in response to controversy with a Legendary Gem exploit.
"Although we generally don’t provide such buffs (in order to discourage people from only playing when a buff is active), we feel like the unusual circumstances, in this case, warrant an exception," Diablo 3 CM Tyvalir said.

These hotfixes were set to buff the Bones of Rathma, reducing the number of Skeletal Mages required to proc the bonus by six. This was in addition to doubling the damage done.
There was also a major glitch discovered with the hotfix, which allowed Greater Nephalem Rifts to be cleared by parties with Demon Hunters and Necromancers extremely quickly. As such, many were worried about the integrity of the Era 8 Leaderboards. Blizzard is rolling these gems back on non-seasonal characters to normally achievable levels:

- We will be rolling back Legendary Gem levels to the maximum gem level that would have been legitimately achievable prior to the patch going live. As with all previous exploits, any additional actions we may take will not be discussed outside of our staff and offending individuals.

The exploit in question is the interaction between the Necromancer's Frailty ability and the Grim Reaper Rune from the Demon Hunter ability Marked for Death. This allowed the instant execute damage from Frailty, which is more or less the infinite amount the game can compute to kill enemies at less than 15% health (no matter how much health they had) to spread to all targets. Obviously, this sped up Greater Nephalem Rifts farming to ridiculous levels.

Of course, this doesn't discuss what will happen to these players who abused this interaction. It also doesn't address the Paragon levels players gained as a result. The reaction from the community has not exactly been kind, as many players were expecting a full rollback, or at the very least to hear that these players were being banned. Many players are now wondering why they didn't run the exploit themselves, as they feel this is hardly a slap on the wrist.

The Diablo 3 Double XP weekend will kick off this weekend, by way of apology from Blizzard:
Start Date: Friday July 14, 5 PM Pacific
End Date Monday, July 17 at 10 am Pacific

Source: Diablo 3: Blizzard Responds to Necromancer Exploit Outrage with a Double XP Weekend - PVP Live

TurtleStrong

Clan Member
Aug 8, 2014
Colorado
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major

Of the Army
Frankly, any punishment handed down will be completely covering the main issues at hand.

Blizzard didn't properly test out all potential interactions with the new class and current classes. The players should not be punished for an oversight.

-edit-

That being said, rolling back the accounts that did it would be a fair measure. Outright banning them would be overstepping in my opinion.

-edit 2-

Blue Post by Nevalists said:
Lastly, we will be rolling back Legendary Gem levels to the maximum gem level that would have been legitimately achievable prior to the patch going live. As with all previous exploits, any additional actions we may take will not be discussed outside of our staff and offending individuals.

Which is exactly what they did well done.

Harod

Non-Member
Dec 27, 2016
Michigan
Frankly, any punishment handed down will be completely covering the main issues at hand.

Blizzard didn't properly test out all potential interactions with the new class and current classes. The players should not be punished for an oversight.

-edit-

That being said, rolling back the accounts that did it would be a fair measure. Outright banning them would be overstepping in my opinion.

-edit 2-

Which is exactly what they did well done.

I respectfully disagree with the severity of their implementation.

This is not even remotely close to enough of a punishment or deterrent. The myriad gains made by these exploiters are everlasting. Simply rolling gems back to 132 does not account for the permanent advantage these players now have on account of these gems. In addition, they accrued vast amounts of experience gain during the exploit. There are even reports of people using the limited rollback feature to reverse Blizzard's official rollback, thereby reclaiming their 140+ gems. It's absolute bullshit and makes me care less about Diablo 3 and Blizzard in general.

This is of course my personal opinion. I'm only paragon 1200 something, so I was not directly competing with some of the top players. I was however competing with players that had gems in the 90-100 range who now have gems in the 110-115 range and hundreds of additional paragon points. Regardless of the direct effect on me or anyone else, it invalidates the integrity of this game and the spirit of competition.

This is a terrible failure by Blizzard, on multiple accounts (releasing with this many bugs and responding to them).

After Season 11, I'll probably move on to Path of Exile.

Zahbo

Clan Officer
Feb 8, 2016
West Palm Beach, FL
Clan Rank
Major
Major
Well, it sort of cements the opinion that this was an exploit. Rolling back, and possible bans makes it pretty clear to me. Please don't think I am de-valuing opinions that were expressed to the contrary. I am only saying that by playing it safe, we end up being safe.

GaReBeaR

Clan Member
May 10, 2017
USA
Clan Rank
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
its 2017 and people are still finding out activison-blizzard does not give a damn about their players online money ever since world of warcraft. i find that funny. i agree that i am tired of these early access, not finished products that is making the gaming community everywhere salty about all the games not being done right. I quit buying early access long time ago. I believe necro was sold as a finshed product but it really wasnt. people mention that it was the same necro from the public beta server. shows me they dont care push it out make money they bitch to much we will give them a little patch. I have seen diablo 3 from launch to now its not the same game....

my point is no one really should be shocked or even surprised this is blizzard they patch or add something it creates 20 other bugs or glitches they now need to fix how blizzard works. if you have ever played wow you would know patch day equal bug day even if bugs are being fixed.

and the whining about its unfair..... playing d3 i do not see how it matters or even effects players other than you see their names on leader boards. it does not affect our game play the game is not set up like that. now if this was a open world pvp game and they have all this xp and gems upgraded and u get ur ass kicked thats unfair...... but as far as diablo 3 goes.... so they got ahead what are they gonna get a medal? come on guys.... no reason to be upsit, a person said i was a fool for not thinking diablo 3 wasnt compeition for some it might be but in reality the game is not set up that way. not like it was in d2. where people rushed every season to get on those leaderloads. i bet half the player base doesnt even look at them anymore in d3. they killed the d3 community by killing the free trade system that ultimately made d2 lod a mmo d3 is no longer a mmo just an online aRPG that is instance/dungeon based. Hardcore community is slim to none but I would like to rejoin the Hardcore scene myself no one in fever wants to lol. let us just hope diablo 4 they take it back to the real roots of diablo when it comes to compeitive play. even maybe to have to grab loot instead of being save anymore. ( change it after to many kiddies didnt get "their" loot)