Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone play Warhammer 40k?

Non-Member
    United States

User Info Menu

That's no lie. One thing you can do to cut down on cost is try to find local gaming shops that are not GamesWorkshop. Sometimes they can save you some cabbage.

Clan Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant (2LT)
    Canada

User Info Menu

There's plenty of options to cut down on costs. You can buy used models on websites like Ebay. The other thing you'll notice as you dig in to the community is a series of really excellent starter boxes that Games Workshop has produced. Couple this with rulesets like Shadow Wars Armageddon or Kill Team and the barrier to entry to actually start playing is quite low! Getting to the point where you can play that big chunky table top that the system is well known for can be a bit of a time and money sink but be patient! Also if you haven't been paying attention a new rules edition was just announced the last few days that will greatly ease the burden of getting in to the game!

It's an exciting time!

Clan Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant (2LT)
    Canada

User Info Menu

There's plenty of options to cut down on costs. You can buy used models on websites like Ebay. The other thing you'll notice as you dig in to the community is a series of really excellent starter boxes that Games Workshop has produced. Couple this with rulesets like Shadow Wars Armageddon or Kill Team and the barrier to entry to actually start playing is quite low! Getting to the point where you can play that big chunky table top that the system is well known for can be a bit of a time and money sink but be patient! Also if you haven't been paying attention a new rules edition was just announced the last few days that will greatly ease the burden of getting in to the game!

It's an exciting time!

Clan Member
    Sergeant Major of the Army
    Sergeant Major of the Army (SMA)
    United States

User Info Menu

Careful buying the rules right now and the codexs with 8th Edition coming out this year

Non-Member
    United States

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GamerKnoob View Post
    Careful buying the rules right now and the codexs with 8th Edition coming out this year

Very good point. GW normally pushes a new edition every 2-3 years I think.

Clan Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant (2LT)
    Canada

User Info Menu

So with the new announcements they've made the rules will be updating yearly in a generals handbook the same way their age of sigmar option is currently updating. However the core rules for the game will be available free for those who want them. It should be also noted that at this time, as of a few days ago, all old books are going out of print and will no longer be in use.

I could talk about this stuff for hours haha.

Clan Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant (2LT)
    Canada

User Info Menu

So with the new announcements they've made the rules will be updating yearly in a generals handbook the same way their age of sigmar option is currently updating. However the core rules for the game will be available free for those who want them. It should be also noted that at this time, as of a few days ago, all old books are going out of print and will no longer be in use.

I could talk about this stuff for hours haha.

Canada

User Info Menu

Hey I'm looking to get back into 40k. Haven't played a game on years by I'm loving the painting and making terrain pieces. If anyone is in nanaimo I'd like to get together and play a game.. I have no rulebook or codexs.. or dice or really anything expect my space marines and terrain. I do work full time so hopefully we could schedule something

Clan Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant (2LT)
    Canada

User Info Menu

Tedeski! That's pretty cool to find another clan member so close to home. I'm waiting until the new edition of the game comes out before I jump back in to playing. It's gonna be a huge deal. Completely free core rulebook, with cheaper consolidated codices at day one with sharply retuned and trimmed down rules. If you haven't been following the coming updates I'd highly reccomend the warhammer 40k community site where they've had Dev Q&A as well as daily updates about what we can expect from the sweeping changes to the current rules.

It's a very exciting time, especially for me, who's always been intimidated by 7th editions incredibly bloated rules set.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12