Thread: CSGO's Next Operation & Source 2 Engine Released This Summer

Non-Member
    United States

User Info Menu

CSGO's Next Operation & Source 2 Engine Released This Summer

We have a new operation coming this summer, which was revealed during the presentation for China's release. They also mentioned moving to the Source2 engine, which seems could alter the physics slightly. I'll link the article that I found below, and also post the video from that they provided. There is no official release from Valve on this yet.

The new system should optimize performance, though the "feel" of CS:GO may change slightly. While running on the original Source engine, CS:GO utilizes the Havok physics engine. Source 2, on the other hand, uses a new physics engine known as Rubikon.

When the switch to Rubikon occurs, you may feel minor changes to player movement and grenade physics due to the new engine. Rubikon may force players and teams to either adapt existing smoke-throws or create completely new ones. In addition, minor movement changes may not be felt by many, but has significant impact in Competitive. Any miscalculated step can often lead to your death or a missed pick.

Valve previously increased player friction to lessen the "slippery" feel of movement just slightly, and the game felt new as a result. Source 2's Rubikon might introduce a similar effect.

Lastly, the new technology also allows for a destructible environment, though I don't see Valve implementing this feature into CSGO. Allowing players to blast through walls and objects would change Global Offensive's gameplay entirely by creating undesigned routes or bypassing the map's flow. If added, Valve would have essentially created a new game.
    Article from PVPLive

Clan Member
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal (LCPL)
    United States

User Info Menu

Waiting on the new operation so I can get that gold op. coin

Clan Member
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant (MSGT)
    United States

User Info Menu