Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Alert: The forums are currently turned off!

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  19
    Likes Likes:  56

Discord

We have started the move to Discord. We haven't made a final decision about the teamspeak. The Fever Leadership has determined this will be the best in

Go First 3456 Last

Rate This Thread: Discord

Rated out of 5: 4.80 | Total: 5 ratings given and has been viewed 2019 times.

1. Lance Corporal
      Lance Corporal (LCPL)
      United States

Main Game
      Diablo III
      Fever Coins
      1,150 Discord

04-20-2017, 12:40 PM
      How will this move affect people in certain clans? with participation more focused on events or on the forums? part of that meant we needed to be on TS. However with the changeover to discord, how will that affect us?
    2. 04-20-2017, 12:40 PM
      How will this move affect people in certain clans? with participation more focused on events or on the forums? part of that meant we needed to be on TS. However with the changeover to discord, how will that affect us?
    3. Founder
      Clan Founder (FDR)
      United States

Nickname
      Boho the Whiper
      Fever Coins
      53,070 Discord
      Clan Jobs
      1: Clan Owner
      2: Clan Leader
      3: Clan Founder

04-20-2017, 03:25 PM
      Originally Posted by Bun-Bun
      Once the switch is made, the damage is already done. People like me will have already left. You can't recover that.

Is losing only a few to save all that money worth it?

The reason we are looking into discord -- money isn't really a factor -- We are looking into staying current with technology and take advantage of innovation in the industry to better the FeverClan experience. If we were to let innovation pass us by. We would have lose way more members than staying innovative. I don't know if you're aware that FeverClan has been around over 10 years -- do you think we've never made changes in that time? We've literally started over from nothing several times and the clan is still here. This is basically a lateral transition. I can go ahead and save you some time and effort. We will one day switch completely over to something other than teamspeak -- so you might want to find a clan that better suites your needs if you're resistant to change. This may not happen tomorrow or the next day, but one day we'll make a change. We will always continue to make changes with the best interest of FeverClan at heart.

FeverClan isn't going to be for everyone and I know that. I want to cater to everyone, I want to take over the world, I want to have the biggest and best clan in the world. This comes from innovation, changes, and great people. We already have great people and this change will make it easier to communicate between our great members, generals, and leaders. Which in turn brings innovation and change. Change is scary and normally we attempt to ease people into the change. However, we have run into anissue with the Windows Server box which runs the teamspeak server and game servers. So we have decided this is a great time to start the migration. Will we lose people because of this change? Certainly... We will recover? Certainly.... Do I wish we could do something instead of change? Certainly, but its not realistic.

I appreciate your input and feedback on the issue. It is really helpful! We need more upfront and honest opinions with our policies, plans, ideas, and really everything from every level in the clan. From the guests and members up!
      Last edited by Bogo; 04-20-2017 at 03:31 PM.
    4. 04-20-2017, 03:25 PM
      Once the switch is made, the damage is already done. People like me will have already left. You can't recover that.

Is losing only a few to save all that money worth it?

The reason we are looking into discord -- money isn't really a factor -- We are looking into staying current with technology and take advantage of innovation in the industry to better the FeverClan experience. If we were to let innovation pass us by. We would have lose way more members than staying innovative. I don't know if you're aware that FeverClan has been around over 10 years -- do you think we've never made changes in that time? We've literally started over from nothing several times and the clan is still here. This is basically a lateral transition. I can go ahead and save you some time and effort. We will one day switch completely over to something other than teamspeak -- so you might want to find a clan that better suites your needs if you're resistant to change. This may not happen tomorrow or the next day, but one day we'll make a change. We will always continue to make changes with the best interest of FeverClan at heart.

FeverClan isn't going to be for everyone and I know that. I want to cater to everyone, I want to take over the world, I want to have the biggest and best clan in the world. This comes from innovation, changes, and great people. We already have great people and this change will make it easier to communicate between our great members, generals, and leaders. Which in turn brings innovation and change. Change is scary and normally we attempt to ease people into the change. However, we have run into anissue with the Windows Server box which runs the teamspeak server and game servers. So we have decided this is a great time to start the migration. Will we lose people because of this change? Certainly... We will recover? Certainly.... Do I wish we could do something instead of change? Certainly, but its not realistic.

I appreciate your input and feedback on the issue. It is really helpful! We need more upfront and honest opinions with our policies, plans, ideas, and really everything from every level in the clan. From the guests and members up!
    5. Staff Sergeant
      Staff Sergeant (SSG)
      Canada

Main Game
      Diablo 3
      Fever Coins
      4,620 Discord

04-20-2017, 03:41 PM
      @Bogo

Switching away from teamspeak isn't the issue. Changing technologies isn't the issue. Switching to an inferior technology because its the new fad is the issue. I've already stated the issues with discord so I wont go into that here, but if there was a new platform that fixed some or all of the issues the clan has with teamspeak that still allows the clan to be in 100% control over it, then that would be a smart change and I would stand behind it. As is changing to discord from teamspeak hurts the fever experience IMO. The config/integration of teamspeak was a huge plus for me when I first started and discord is not going to be able to replicate that for reason I and others have stated in this thread.

I get there are issues right now and using discord in the mean time is fine. But 100% switching over is a horrible idea for all the reason I have previously stated.

What are the problems with the windows box? Is this a hardware thing or are we needing a new host? I am an IT Admin and general computer enthusiast, maybe I can help in some way.
    6. 04-20-2017, 03:41 PM
      @Bogo

Switching away from teamspeak isn't the issue. Changing technologies isn't the issue. Switching to an inferior technology because its the new fad is the issue. I've already stated the issues with discord so I wont go into that here, but if there was a new platform that fixed some or all of the issues the clan has with teamspeak that still allows the clan to be in 100% control over it, then that would be a smart change and I would stand behind it. As is changing to discord from teamspeak hurts the fever experience IMO. The config/integration of teamspeak was a huge plus for me when I first started and discord is not going to be able to replicate that for reason I and others have stated in this thread.

I get there are issues right now and using discord in the mean time is fine. But 100% switching over is a horrible idea for all the reason I have previously stated.

What are the problems with the windows box? Is this a hardware thing or are we needing a new host? I am an IT Admin and general computer enthusiast, maybe I can help in some way.
    7. Founder
      Clan Founder (FDR)
      United States

Nickname
      Boho the Whiper
      Fever Coins
      53,070 Discord
      Clan Jobs
      1: Clan Owner
      2: Clan Leader
      3: Clan Founder

04-20-2017, 03:49 PM
      @Bogo

Thank you! I further understand your concerns. That is the reason we haven't made a final decision yet about moving solely to one platform or another. The operating system is giving us some issues and we think a reload would be the best course of action. Also, the server hasn't been upgraded in 3 or so years. So we might as well move to another upgraded box when we fix the OS issues.
    8. 04-20-2017, 03:49 PM
      @Bogo

Thank you! I further understand your concerns. That is the reason we haven't made a final decision yet about moving solely to one platform or another. The operating system is giving us some issues and we think a reload would be the best course of action. Also, the server hasn't been upgraded in 3 or so years. So we might as well move to another upgraded box when we fix the OS issues.
    9. Sergeant Major of the Army
      Sergeant Major of the Army (SMA)
      United States

Nickname
      nameste...BITCH
      Fever Coins
      30,000 Discord

04-20-2017, 06:39 PM
      R&U
      Discord has better voice comms anyways. Just shitty channel management.
    10. 04-20-2017, 06:39 PM
      R&U
      Discord has better voice comms anyways. Just shitty channel management.
    11. Likes |Fever| Bogo liked this post
    12. Sergeant Major of the Army
      Sergeant Major of the Army (SMA)
      Greece

Main Game
      Smite
      Fever Coins
      22,930 Discord
      Clan Jobs
      1: Content Creator: Guild Wars 2

04-20-2017, 07:07 PM
      i like discord it's capture little more ram from teamspeak(5-10mb more is not so much). i didn't test the teamspeak voice and discord, but i think ultrawide voice codex of teamspeak is way better that all of the voice chat programm's.

13. 04-20-2017, 07:07 PM
      i like discord it's capture little more ram from teamspeak(5-10mb more is not so much). i didn't test the teamspeak voice and discord, but i think ultrawide voice codex of teamspeak is way better that all of the voice chat programm's.
    14. Likes |Fever| Bogo liked this post
    15. Gunnery Sergeant
      Gunnery Sergeant (GYSGT)
      Australia

Main Game
      Hearthstone
      Fever Coins
      9,600 Discord
      Clan Jobs
      1: Content Creator: Hearthstone

04-20-2017, 10:04 PM
      I've been using Discord for a little while and seen some of its limitations over TS. With the way it's being setup at the moment, it looks like the admins are trying to replicate the structure of TS. With how voice and text channels are separate and how the voice channels are being setup in a structure as it was in TS (albeit in a very limited fashion atm), I'm wondering whether it may not be better to move away trying to make Discord run and feel like TS and instead change the structure to suit Discord.

The way I could see the structure working is as follows:
      • There is an official server that all members have to join. That's where all the admin and social stuff happens and that's where your master member's online list would be. So like what we have now.
      • Establish a official Fever server for each gaming section which has the same permission structure but is operated and maintained by the relevant section heads to minimise admin overhead. They can establish and adjust what voice and text channels are required.
      • They may be a need for another server for handling game nights, tournaments and such but that can also be done in-game servers I guess. Not sure what would be the best there.
      • Members join the main server plus any number of servers relevant to their gaming interests.

So in terms of similarities to TS structure, the list of servers on the left act like major, top-level sections e.g Dota2, Heathstone etc. then within each section you have rooms and such.

Better yet, this could be an opportunity to structure it closer to the forums so there are say Shooter, Strategy, RPG etc. servers and then within that, the games relevant to that section with rooms.

The way I see it, the pros and cons for such a setup are:

Pros
      • Having the main channel be a compulsory join means that you have a master list of members so you know how many are online without having to join each individual game server to find out who is there.
      • Considerably lowers the number of channels (both voice and text) and can be better structured to suit the needs of each gaming section by the gaming section heads. In other words less clutter and more relevant channels.
      • Distributed server management so less admin overhead.

Cons
      • Policiing so-called "compulsory membership" to the official channel may not be possible or even desirable.
      • Silos members so they may not be exposed to other gaming areas or channel-wide announcements.
      • The more games you're involved with in Fever, the more servers to have to jump between. It means an extra click in order to get up to speed in terms of chat or announcements.

What are your thoughts on this?

I feel that it could work out better than trying to fit a square peg into a round hole and having one monolithic server that's messier, harder to scan through and something you can't collapse down to be more manageable as in TS. Though the so-called "collapsing" would be a default feature in a distributed setup.
      Last edited by sparkis; 04-20-2017 at 10:12 PM.
      ​
    16. 04-20-2017, 10:04 PM
      I've been using Discord for a little while and seen some of its limitations over TS. With the way it's being setup at the moment, it looks like the admins are trying to replicate the structure of TS. With how voice and text channels are separate and how the voice channels are being setup in a structure as it was in TS (albeit in a very limited fashion atm), I'm wondering whether it may not be better to move away trying to make Discord run and feel like TS and instead change the structure to suit Discord.

• There is an official server that all members have to join. That's where all the admin and social stuff happens and that's where your master member's online list would be. So like what we have now.
      • Establish a official Fever server for each gaming section which has the same permission structure but is operated and maintained by the relevant section heads to minimise admin overhead. They can establish and adjust what voice and text channels are required.
      • They may be a need for another server for handling game nights, tournaments and such but that can also be done in-game servers I guess. Not sure what would be the best there.
      • Members join the main server plus any number of servers relevant to their gaming interests.

So in terms of similarities to TS structure, the list of servers on the left act like major, top-level sections e.g Dota2, Heathstone etc. then within each section you have rooms and such.

Better yet, this could be an opportunity to structure it closer to the forums so there are say Shooter, Strategy, RPG etc. servers and then within that, the games relevant to that section with rooms.

Pros
      • Having the main channel be a compulsory join means that you have a master list of members so you know how many are online without having to join each individual game server to find out who is there.
      • Considerably lowers the number of channels (both voice and text) and can be better structured to suit the needs of each gaming section by the gaming section heads. In other words less clutter and more relevant channels.

Cons
      • Policiing so-called "compulsory membership" to the official channel may not be possible or even desirable.
      • Silos members so they may not be exposed to other gaming areas or channel-wide announcements.
      • The more games you're involved with in Fever, the more servers to have to jump between. It means an extra click in order to get up to speed in terms of chat or announcements.

I feel that it could work out better than trying to fit a square peg into a round hole and having one monolithic server that's messier, harder to scan through and something you can't collapse down to be more manageable as in TS. Though the so-called "collapsing" would be a default feature in a distributed setup.
    17. Likes |Fever| Bogo liked this post
    18. First Sergeant
      First Sergeant (1SGT)
      Canada

Main Game
      Diablo 3
      Fever Coins
      6,750 Discord

04-20-2017, 11:09 PM
      R&U. If I may be so bold, I applaud the way Bun-Bun kept cool and stayed firm in his/her beliefs. The way I understand (and yes, I read this entire thread from start to finish), Bun-Bun seems quite familiar with this subject, and he/she is just trying to contribute to the best this clan deserves. I am glad Bun-Bun and Bogo can communicate and perhaps find an improvement overall whether it be with TS or Discord. As far as I am concerned, I am confident this clan's leadership has our best interests and security in mind, so I am willing to give this a shot.
    19. 04-20-2017, 11:09 PM
      R&U. If I may be so bold, I applaud the way Bun-Bun kept cool and stayed firm in his/her beliefs. The way I understand (and yes, I read this entire thread from start to finish), Bun-Bun seems quite familiar with this subject, and he/she is just trying to contribute to the best this clan deserves. I am glad Bun-Bun and Bogo can communicate and perhaps find an improvement overall whether it be with TS or Discord. As far as I am concerned, I am confident this clan's leadership has our best interests and security in mind, so I am willing to give this a shot.
    20. Thanks |Fever| Bogo thanked for this post
      Likes |Fever| Shiva, |Fever| Bogo liked this post
    21. Join Date
      May 2016
      Main Game
      Starcraft 2
      Nickname
      Sir Air Mail

04-21-2017, 04:46 PM
      Originally Posted by sparkis

Pros

Cons

I like this idea for the most part, but I have one issue with it. By separating the various gaming sections you'd be dividing the community. I for one would rather increase multi-gaming in a multi-gaming clan. Being able to see everyone who is online is really nice because you can always jump around and say hi to friends. Through this method you first have to click the HotS server to see who's online in HotS. If we are all on different sub-servers then we are less likely to intermingle with one another.
    22. 04-21-2017, 04:46 PM
      Originally Posted by sparkis

Pros

Cons

I like this idea for the most part, but I have one issue with it. By separating the various gaming sections you'd be dividing the community. I for one would rather increase multi-gaming in a multi-gaming clan. Being able to see everyone who is online is really nice because you can always jump around and say hi to friends. Through this method you first have to click the HotS server to see who's online in HotS. If we are all on different sub-servers then we are less likely to intermingle with one another.
    23. Gunnery Sergeant
      Gunnery Sergeant (GYSGT)
      Australia

Main Game
      Hearthstone
      Fever Coins
      9,600 Discord
      Clan Jobs
      1: Content Creator: Hearthstone

04-21-2017, 05:47 PM
      @Arimil thanks for you input

I agree that it can silo the community into their respective games. Whether that's a net negative or not I'm not sure of. As things currently stand with Discord, you'd be trading a click for a scroll since the current Discord setup is so long and monolithic. I guess the question is which is worse - getting lost in the noise and clutter (particularly if we're looking to make as close to a 1-1 replacement for TS) or potentially dividing up the clan into gaming sections?

That's assuming the division isn't already there. For instance, I only play Hearthstone so it's only there and the social sections I check out on the forums and TS. For people that play other games (1 or more), do they check out sections outside of their interest area all that often? If so, are they are larger enough group to have to cater for?

I don't know the answers to any of these questions and maybe you are right. It just feels like to me that right now that we're making Discord do something it wasn't designed to do and the change would be a good opportunity to perhaps rethink our approach to structure.

Whether moving away from the TS is the right thing...? It's the whole point of raising the discussion
      ​
    24. 04-21-2017, 05:47 PM
      @Arimil thanks for you input

I agree that it can silo the community into their respective games. Whether that's a net negative or not I'm not sure of. As things currently stand with Discord, you'd be trading a click for a scroll since the current Discord setup is so long and monolithic. I guess the question is which is worse - getting lost in the noise and clutter (particularly if we're looking to make as close to a 1-1 replacement for TS) or potentially dividing up the clan into gaming sections?

That's assuming the division isn't already there. For instance, I only play Hearthstone so it's only there and the social sections I check out on the forums and TS. For people that play other games (1 or more), do they check out sections outside of their interest area all that often? If so, are they are larger enough group to have to cater for?

I don't know the answers to any of these questions and maybe you are right. It just feels like to me that right now that we're making Discord do something it wasn't designed to do and the change would be a good opportunity to perhaps rethink our approach to structure.

Whether moving away from the TS is the right thing...? It's the whole point of raising the discussion

Go First 3456 Last