Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Fever's Bookclub

Clan Member
    Sergeant Major of the Army
    Sergeant Major of the Army (SMA)
    United States

User Info Menu

@Lustrum @Emrilia @Blackstone @Lapi @stigmaoftherose @Requ1em @GamerKnoob @AngelSoul @sparkis @DaveQ @sasabo @DerangedDrew
    hey guys how is it going? don't forget discussions are Thursday night (00:30 est on the 31'st) for in the ts, and I am now opening forum discussion on the book. If you will be in the ts discussion please still leave a short review here for those to read your views on the book who cant make it but just denote that more will be said in the ts talk.

Vetted Officer
    Vetted Officer
    Vetted Officer (VO)
    United States

User Info Menu

See y'all on Thursday night!

"I See A Red Door & I Want It Painted Black." - The Rolling Stones

Clan Member
    United States

User Info Menu

@Lustrum @Emrilia @Blackstone @Lapi @stigmaoftherose @Requ1em @GamerKnoob @AngelSoul @sparkis @DaveQ @sasabo @DerangedDrew

what to know who doesn't know how to read a calendar? this guy... anyways going to reschedule to sunday night/monday morning at 0030 est. sorry to everyone and don't forget to write your reviews if you haven't yet, I have gotten the next book recommended by @Requ1em Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1) by Richard Kadrey — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

hope to see you guys for real this time and if i forget again plz someone remind me I am really wanting to talk about this book.

4. Thanks |Fever| Requ1em thanked for this post
    Likes |Fever| Requ1em liked this post
    Clan Officer
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Fever's Bookclub
    Great Britain

User Info Menu

Okay, my thoughts on the First Book of Deacon. Awful, awful, awful. It was so utterly clichéd as to be written by a third grader. The female protagonist to be so good at magic as to learn in days was laughable. And technically she was NOT a sympathizer. In true terms she's a pacifist. I like fantasy, I read a ton of it every year. But i couldn't get into it at all. Overall 1/5 (and that's being generous).

6. Likes |Fever| Emrilia liked this post
    Clan Officer
    Captain
    Captain (CPT)
    United States

User Info Menu

I want in please!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

8. Likes |Fever| Requ1em liked this post
    Clan Member
    United States

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    Okay, my thoughts on the First Book of Deacon. Awful, awful, awful. It was so utterly clichéd as to be written by a third grader. The female protagonist to be so good at magic as to learn in days was laughable. And technically she was NOT a sympathizer. In true terms she's a pacifist. I like fantasy, I read a ton of it every year. But i couldn't get into it at all. Overall 1/5 (and that's being generous).
    if you come to the meeting in 30 mins I can explain a bit behind this if you don't show I will write out my reply to this as I see your argument as somewhat valid but skewed from my perspective of having read the whole series and thus being privy to more info

Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    I want in please!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    will add you to the end of the list after I update it based on who all shows for the meeting and writes a review as some people may be cut from it.

Clan Member
    United States

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    see as how no one showed for the meet up I will reiterate my views on this comment here, firstly your claim of cliche ignores the entire genre of epic fantasy in which the main protagonist is given an item or ability that puts them above a normal person so that they can fight an otherwise unstoppable evil that is the genre of the book series you don't call a romance novel cliche for having the love interest end up with the girl. *spoiler for the rest of the series ahead* further into the 2nd or 3rd book the reason why magic comes to her so well is explained in that she is one "chosen by the gods" as her existence was directly influenced by the gods in her conception so her magic capability is divinely inspired *spoiler ends* I can see why you would have issues with this being omitted from the first book as it does in fact make it seem poorly written but from the viewpoint of the author he wrote the first three books in the series as one and then had to cut them up in order to get them published. secondly, as to your statement of her not being a sympathizer I completely disagree and feel you may have misread on that or don't fully understand the term. this usage denotes not her sympathy for the enemy but her sympathy for the dead as in the culture of the northern alliance to die in the war is a great honor and to say that the death was a waste or to feel sorry for the dead is greatly frowned upon. to state that she is a pacifist is completely correct as she does claim this herself as her reasoning to become a healer rather than to fight for the undermine, overall I can understand how you would fail to get into the book as the author is known to spend a large surmount of time world building rather than advancing the plot as is seen by the overly arduous way in which he tells of her training in healing, and the majority of the first book does nothing but try to establish the basis for the world, and what it is going through, while also trying (rather well) to cover up the majority of the truth so that it can reveal it later once the actual fight against the "unstoppable evil" begins. It makes it very hard to read and appreciate without reading the full story, but if you understand the entirety of the author's logic in writing these sections once you get the full view and see why he wrote it the way he did in the end it comes out as more of a worthwhile venture (think M Night Shyamalan where watching the movie again once you know the twist makes you view many of the scenes differently).

Vetted Officer
    Vetted Officer
    Vetted Officer (VO)
    United States

User Info Menu

Sorry I didnt make the TS meeting. I hope we can get together soon and discuss. The read is still fresh on my mind, as it were.

"I See A Red Door & I Want It Painted Black." - The Rolling Stones

Clan Member
    United States

User Info Menu

@Lustrum @Emrilia @Blackstone @Lapi @stigmaoftherose @Requ1em @GamerKnoob @AngelSoul @sparkis @DaveQ @sasabo @DerangedDrew @August

hey guys sorry to drop this but, I can no longer be a member of the book club. I do not have the time nor will have any for a while to read the books, I am still willing to host the club in my ts room and can update the forum posts and such but don't have the time to read the books and as such will no longer be recommending books either. if someone else wants to take the lead they can I'm cool with it, but I cannot set aside the time to read the books anymore and thus cannot participate.
    Last edited by stigmaoftherose; 04-22-2017 at 11:24 PM.

Clan Member
    United States

User Info Menu

@Lustrum @Emrilia @Blackstone @Lapi @stigmaoftherose @Requ1em @GamerKnoob @AngelSoul @sparkis @DaveQ @sasabo @DerangedDrew @August

so i guess no one took the lead from me, month ended @GamerKnoob your turn to pick the book, everyone else discuss the last one.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
"

Visitors found this page by searching for:

No taggable source landed on this page from a search engine, yet! - FeverClan
SEO Blog