Thread: Late game Protoss

Clan Member
    Sergeant
    Sergeant (SGT)
    United States

User Info Menu

Late game Protoss

So I've been playing a lot of 1v1's for awhile now, but I find myself losing damn near every single game if it gets to late game.
    It seems like even when I think i've got a stronger army (and this is born out of graphs after the match) that my protoss army just can't contend with enemy armies in the late game- even with better upgrades and superior food count.
    Giant balls of bio from terran, or late game masses of roaches and hydras are the culprits. I can't defeat these armies seemingly no matter what unit combo I use!

Long story short, I could use some advice. How do I defeat these two commonly used late game compositions? What group of units from protoss would win? Mass collosus vs zerg armies ends up getting fucked by the zerg switch immediately to mass air, making my collosus useless. Even when they don't switch, often times it seems like all it takes is extra roaches and a few less hydras to defeat my collosus/roach/ht/archon armies. I even throw up a gaurdian shield xD
    Against terran, I've also tried collosus vs the mass bio balls but this has never even come close to working. Terran throws a few vikings in the mix, and I feel doomed! I've also tried HT/archons mixed with gateway units but this doesn't function either.

So to any and all protoss players out there, how in the world do I win the long game? I can out econ my oponents often enough, but it doesn't matter if I can't counter their armies effectively.

Clan Officer
    Captain
    Captain (CPT)
    Cuba

User Info Menu

The 2 thing's I would look at first is your AOE and your casters. If you are facing Bio ( Marine's, Lings, hydra's ) Make sure you have some Col with the extended lance. If you are fighting roaches make sure you have some disruptors out. Which are also very good against hydras. Against terran I usually like to go Air and ground mix leading to carriers. Also Immortals are lethal man a few of them will turn the battle against a roach wall or stalkers or any armored unit.

Add me Kaz#1366 and lets practice sometime. I main Toss, am Gold.

Vetted Officer
    Vetted Officer
    Vetted Officer (VO)
    United States

User Info Menu

I learned last night that disruptor is a good unit lol no joke won the game with 3 of them .-.

you have me added already so if you wanna practice just shoot me a message whenever and we can go over stuff together
    nope.gif

immortal immortal

nothing to see here

Clan Member
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major (MSG)
    United States

User Info Menu

i got two words for ya: high-templar, disrupters. you will destroy everyone below plat with good storms as well as many diamonds.

Clan Member
    Gunnery Sergeant
    Gunnery Sergeant (GYSGT)
    Venezuela

User Info Menu

Hi man! About the Colossus issue, i believe that microing them a bit can be huge of final battles, i.e: Vs Zerg the Collosi have more range, so you can hit, when they try to focus them most of their army is moving forward not atacking, so just by moving(or even moving-amoving) the collosus out you have an impact on that fight, if they chase it's a win since some of their unit are not atacking at all, if they stop chasing Collosus atacks and splashes some damage again =). For the rest, a few inmortals vs roaches, disruptor and high templar are great. A good engage is important too, try to get highlands so you hit first from a favorable angle, avoid being stuck on small ramps, the most expanded your army is in front of the enemy, the more damage they can do! And keep your melee units in front so they can hit first, proper engage is way too important. Hope this can be helpful, greetings!

6. Likes |Fever| Synizta liked this post
    Clan Member
    Sergeant
    Sergeant (SGT)
    United States

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazik View Post
    The 2 thing's I would look at first is your AOE and your casters. If you are facing Bio ( Marine's, Lings, hydra's ) Make sure you have some Col with the extended lance. If you are fighting roaches make sure you have some disruptors out. Which are also very good against hydras. Against terran I usually like to go Air and ground mix leading to carriers. Also Immortals are lethal man a few of them will turn the battle against a roach wall or stalkers or any armored unit.

Add me Kaz#1366 and lets practice sometime. I main Toss, am Gold.
    Hey Kaz,

Thanks for the response!
    Yeah, I never use collosus without the extended lance, the extra range does wonders. My games almost never make it late enough to use carriers extensively, but I also make sure to mix in a good number of immortals.
    I'll be happy to practice with ya sometime. I'll add you as well.

Clan Member
    Sergeant
    Sergeant (SGT)
    United States

User Info Menu

You're right that microing collosus makes a big difference, and that when they are moving forward to focus collosus if you move them back that helps a lot. I think one of my things I need to work on is better engages- after watching more replays and streams lately, I can see that a lot of times protoss needs to move their army around a lot more than some of those other big masses of units, choosing their engagement extremely carefully. I'll have to work on this I think.

9. Likes |Fever| papabalda liked this post
    Clan Member
    Sergeant
    Sergeant (SGT)
    United States

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by billy_da_bob View Post
    I learned last night that disruptor is a good unit lol no joke won the game with 3 of them .-.

you have me added already so if you wanna practice just shoot me a message whenever and we can go over stuff together
    I think you're right that I've got to practice using disruptors more. I hardly ever use them, but they can swing battles majorly in your favor when used correctly.

Vetted Officer
    Vetted Officer
    Vetted Officer (VO)
    Australia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FightingIppo View Post
    I think you're right that I've got to practice using disruptors more. I hardly ever use them, but they can swing battles majorly in your favor when used correctly.
    Absolutely agreed.

Unlike high Templar, Disruptions are more difficult to control and easier to horrifically mess up with, accidentally hit your own units with the disruptor thing and they will almost all die. But at the sametime, if used well with some practice can be absolutely devestating, particularly vs armies that are slow and clunky, (I.e, Mech, Roaches/Ravagers, Immortals, Colo, etc)

Clan Member
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal (LCPL)
    Canada

User Info Menu

I like to go skytoss late game in pretty much everygame. Carrier void rays high templars archons chargelots tends to do okay with me. But really the ideal army composition is always situational. It depends on what kills you the most.
    I'm only platinum tho, so take this with a grain of salt!
    Pylons and probes!