Thread: Interesting! Warcraft may help you find a job.

Non-Member
    United States

User Info Menu

Interesting! Warcraft may help you find a job.

I saw this on USA Today and thought it would be interesting enough to share.

Quote Originally Posted by USA Today
    It’s a sentiment expressed by generations of parents since Pong began invading unsuspecting households in 1975. But what if that “stupid game” could help you get a job, and what if that same game could make you a valuable team member once you had the job?

A new study by researchers at Missouri University of Science and Tecnology found that World of Warcraft (WoW) gamers who were successful working as a team in “raids” had qualities that psychological studies have shown to translate to success on virtual workplace teams.

These qualities include what psychologists call the Big Five personality traits – extraversion, agreeableness, openness, conscientiousness and neuroticism, as well as computer-mediated communication skills and technology readiness.
    Read the article here.

Clan Member
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major (MSG)
    United States

User Info Menu

I should be a high valued employee if that's case, cause of how much WoW I've played over the years. :P

Vetted Officer
    Vetted Officer
    Vetted Officer (VO)
    Canada

User Info Menu

Working volunteer (as an officer) was something I put on resumes and helped me get one of my first jobs post-college (community management) which led me on the path to working in the video game industry (Ubisoft).

Anything that you dedicate enough time to can be used as experience if you really make a case for why it is relevant

Clan Officer
    Lieutenant Colonel
    United States

User Info Menu

I truly do see this happening a lot. I think that World of Warcraft, and to a larger extent social interactions in games, are amazing tools for helping people learn. How many people recall the "Cursed Blood Incident". This small glitch in WoW's programming literally opened up doors for researching mass outbreak of viruses in real life. I think that it is amazing that games have come this far, and I for one can not wait to see how far they can go.

Clan Member
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major (MSG)
    United States

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyy View Post
    I truly do see this happening a lot. I think that World of Warcraft, and to a larger extent social interactions in games, are amazing tools for helping people learn. How many people recall the "Cursed Blood Incident". This small glitch in WoW's programming literally opened up doors for researching mass outbreak of viruses in real life. I think that it is amazing that games have come this far, and I for one can not wait to see how far they can go.
    I vaguely remember the cursed blood thing. Wasn't that the thing that killed everyone that was nearby? And it spread?

Clan Officer
    Lieutenant Colonel
    United States

User Info Menu

@Lavitz Cursed Blood was a debuff from a boss in the original raid of Zul Gurub in Stanglethorn. When it first release it was a debuff that would slowly tick your health and when you died it spread to another nearby player. It was bugged and persisted outside of the raid, so someone hearthed to Orgrimmar. If you google it you can find pics of skeletons littered all over the place.

Clan Officer
    Lieutenant Colonel
    United States

User Info Menu

@Lavitz Cursed Blood was a debuff from a boss in the original raid of Zul Gurub in Stanglethorn. When it first release it was a debuff that would slowly tick your health and when you died it spread to another nearby player. It was bugged and persisted outside of the raid, so someone hearthed to Orgrimmar. If you google it you can find pics of skeletons littered all over the place.

Non-Member
    United States

User Info Menu

Actually hunters used it on their pet and stored their pet and brought it back out in cities to infect other people!

Clan Member
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major (MSG)
    United States

User Info Menu

To youtube! I must see if these vids exist!